I create open-minded visual stories whose interpretations grow with their viewers. Fragments to create emotions. Atmospherics.
I studied Fine Arts at the Academy of Fine Arts, Vienna — in the classes of Daniel Richter, Harun Farocki and Gunter Damisch (2006-2011).
To further dive into storytelling in contemporary media, I wrote a Doctoral Thesis (PhD) about “Painting and digital technologies” (Elisabeth von Samsonow, Felicitas Thun-Hohenstein, 2011-2015).
Together with my game development background (Rockstar Games, 2000-2006), these form the basis of my artistic practice.
I blend traditional painting and drawing practices with multi-layered digital processes.
The final works often don’t show their underlying digital roots, which include randomized generative algorithms, a robotic drawing device and the development of a custom image abstraction software. This lets the works feature a mode of figuration that’s natively based in geometric abstraction – while keeping an analog exterior.
In development since 2015, it offers real-time glitches, numerous line tracing algorithms, creation of 3d geometry from 2d images, production of depth/space dioramas, interpretation of topology through Delaunay triangulation and Voronoi diagrams, video/vectors or high-res pixelations export and WASD controls to navigate the virtual scenes.
I’ve been involved in a variety of projects — using various media, collaborators and ideas.
- The Survival Guide for Artists is my attempt at ordering the chaos that accompanies being an emerging artist. I’ll gradually begin to roll out its content.
- On Doubt (2017-2018) is my YouTube channel on creativity. It features short documentaries based on interviews with unique creators from all sorts of fields; I started it after realizing that I wouldn’t curate physical exhibitions anymore. The project also has an accompanying website.
- Beyond Mimesis (2013-2015) was a “research & discourse platform investigating contemporary painting conditions“. I started it when working on my PhD thesis, and used it to publish analyses of various emerging painters, with a close focus on Austrian artists of roughly my generation.
It’s a Tumblr site that’s entirely safe to read, yet sometimes shows an (invalid) content warning.
- Workshops & Presentations: I held presentations at various institutes about art, art writing, creative processes, the Polargraph plotter and teach the life drawing course at Art School Vienna.
- Curating (2011-2017): I curated various exhibitions, mostly focussing emerging painting.
- Short Films (2019): I produced three experimental short films in 2019. I didn’t fully publish them yet, but here’s information and the trailer of “Let It Come Out”.